Do you know how to report content published without consent?
Although increasingly common, publishing intimate content on the Internet or social networks without the consent of the persons involved is a crime that violates the right to privacy, as well as threatening to do so.
Nowadays, any person can be violated through the publication of intimate photographs, audios or videos on the Internet and social networks without their consent. However, there are several mechanisms that seek to protect victims of this crime. Learn what you can do in these cases.
Did you know that out of a hundred computer crimes that occur in Latin America, only one gets an effective conviction? According to the Computer Crime Observatory of Latin America (Odila) many crimes take place in the digital world; however, the rates of reporting and effective convictions are far below. It is important to take action and report and denounce those behaviors that may violate the rights of people in virtual environments.
Steps to report
If you are a victim of this crime it is important to report it, but do not lose sight of the fact that there is no time to lose, the more time elapses, the more people will be able to download the published material, so you can start by requesting that the photographs or videos are removed while you move forward in legal proceedings that may take longer.
Below you will find the steps to follow in case you are a victim of this crime.
– Do not panic and ask for help.
– Collect the material that proves that intimate information was disclosed. Identify the sites where the information is published and collect screenshots, printouts, among others.
– Find the domain owner and ask them to remove the image. Domain owners such as Facebook or Youtube have their own legal notice and explain the steps to follow to report the misuse of images on the platform.
– Know the law. There is a lot of ignorance on the part of users as to whether they are actually victims of this type of crime. If possible, seek advice from an expert lawyer on the subject.
– Report it to the authorities. If the owner of the domain does not remove the content, the case should be reported to the police. Within the police forces of each country there are departments that handle this type of crime.
There must always be consent
Do not forget that when it comes to any kind of sexual interaction there must be clear, real and informed consent. The fact that the actions are moved to the digital world does not change the importance of giving consent.
Moreover, exposing a person’s privacy without their consent can have strong repercussions that affect the victim’s honor and morals and even lead to suicide.
How to request the removal of published material?
Take note of the options offered by the different platforms to request the removal of photos or videos posted without consent.
Offers a help service to report photos or videos that may infringe the fundamental right to data protection. It also allows you to report abusive behavior through the Report link.
The company has a page from which you can request the removal of content from its various services.
In the case of the video service, it is possible to find different options:
– Reporting of sexual content.
– You can also use the flag icon (Report) to report inappropriate content for the company to review.
In this network you can report various breaches such as: publication of private information, identity theft, or harassment.
This social network allows you to report:
– Content that exposes private information published by third parties without consent.
– Cases of harassment or stalking.
- Tik Tok
Learn how to report inappropriate content on the social network Tik Tok.
The only guilty party is the one who publishes without consent
Despite the fact that the person involved in the published photos or videos may have consensually participated in the sexual activity, this does not imply that he or she consented to the dissemination of this material.
This means that the only ones guilty of this crime are those who make the publication without the consent of the persons involved and they are the ones who must face the consequences for disregarding the privacy and respect of others.
If you feel you have been a victim of sexual violence in the digital world, it’s time to break the silence Tell us your story! Or if you feel you can put your time and talent at the service of others, we invite you to learn more about the I Say No More Movement and join our cause.